Cellphone and PDA usability examining is critical to your business. Actually mobile and handheld functionality testing could be even more important than computer-based usability testing. The primary reasons for this are:
– The number of persons accessing the net from cellular and hand held devices is certainly increasing in a massive amount – in 2008 only there’ll always be an estimated 49 million PDAs sold world-wide.
– People generally have much less experience of employing their mobile going online than they do of using their computer. This means that computer-based users could be assumed to experience a higher level of existing expertise than mobile and handheld users.
— The platform through which users access your site is definitely far less foreseen when using cell phones. Computer-based website visitors generally simply differ from one another in their browser and operating-system (i. elizabeth. most people will use a screen, mouse and keyboard), whereas different types of mobile phones and PDAs vary can considerably.
Which mobile phones and PDAs must you consider?
Cell phones and PDAs can differ derived from one of another substantially, and this can radically alter how persons experience and use websites. Some of the ways handheld units can differ contain:
– Screen-size (small or large)
– Display screen layout (portrait vs . landscape)
– Input gadget (stylus, www.thepelhamfamilyfund.org numeric keypad, dial-wheel, QWERTY keypad)
Because the cellphone / PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT that somebody is using will have such a profound effect on their experience of your websites, you should try to evaluate with as many mobile phones and PDAs as is feasible.
Of course , assessment with every cellphone and PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT is extremely hard. Here are some guidelines to help reduce the number of units you’ll need to test with:
– Your mobile phone site visitors may belong to a specific audience. Several audiences are inclined to prefer particular types of phones (e. g. mobile phones with big screens that are designed to support on the net access vs . small-screen units that aren’t).
– There are ‘phone families’ that offer a very similar user experience (and will not likely need to be tested individually).
— You may want to00 test along with the most well-known mobile phones in Europe as well as most well-known models that are to be used to gain access to your site (you can look at your site statistics to find out this kind of information).
Who do you wish to test with?
The people you want to conduct the mobile phone functionality testing instruction with might, of course , rely upon your particular organization and its crowd. Some things to keep in mind include:
— How much encounter they should have of utilizing their mobile phones gain access to services. That is particularly crucial as the market pertaining to accessing on-line services through mobile phones keeps growing and the percent of ‘complete novices’ (i. e. persons using the technology for the first time) will be a good deal higher than just for computer users of your website.
– Which cellphone or PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT they have. We would usually advise that people apply their own cellular phone in a session, so the test can give attention to your website and never on the way the hand-held device performs.
Wherever should portable usability diagnostic tests sessions be conducted?
Cell phones and PDAs are used inside the real world thus usability examining of hand held devices will need to therefore not simply take place in a usability lab.
Where, the moment and how a mobile phone is needed is critical to a person’s experience of the site they may be accessing. One of the following situations could influence this experience and therefore considerations of the site’s usability:
— Background noise
– Contingency tasks (i. e. nearly anything the person is doing at the same time)
– Physical movement
As such, there was recommend, when possible, that any mobile phone and PDA usability testing is certainly conducted both in a lab and also in the ‘outside world’.
How you prepare and run mobile phone usability sessions will be based on your business and its visitors, but the the majority of popular methods of mobile usability testing incorporate:
– Lab-based (using a camera to record the session)
— Diary-studies (asking people to continue a record of how they have used all their mobile phone and any problems they encounter)
– Conventional paper prototypes (running usability screening on a paper-based version of your site, employing mobile phone screen-sized pieces of paper)