Mobile phone and PDA usability tests is critical to your business. Actually mobile and handheld user friendliness testing could be even more important than computer-based functionality testing. The main reasons for this are:
– The number of people accessing the online world from cellular and handheld devices is certainly increasing by a massive amount – in 2008 alone there’ll be an estimated fifty eight million PDAs sold around the world.
– People generally have way less experience of employing their mobile to move online than they do of using their computer. This means that computer-based users could be assumed to have a higher level of existing expertise than mobile and handheld users.
— The platform by which users gain access to your site is definitely far less foreseen when using cellphones. Computer-based prospects generally just differ from the other in their internet browser and operating system (i. e. most people will use a screen, mouse and keyboard), whereas different types of mobile phones and PDAs change can significantly.
Which in turn mobile phones and PDAs should you consider?
Mobile phones and PDAs can differ from a single another considerably, and this is going to radically switch how persons experience and use websites. Some of the ways handheld products can differ incorporate:
– Screen-size (small or large)
– Display screen layout (portrait vs . landscape)
— Input product (stylus, www.hms-watchstore.com numeric pad, dial-wheel, QWERTY keypad)
Because the cellphone / PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT that an individual is applying will have this kind of a outstanding effect on the experience of your site, you should try to try with as much mobile phones and PDAs as is possible.
Of course , testing with every cellphone and PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT is very unlikely. Here are some tips to help focus the number of gadgets you’ll need to check with:
— Your mobile phone site visitors may well belong to a unique audience. Several audiences usually tend to prefer particular types of phones (e. g. cell phones with big screens that will support on the web access or small-screen styles that aren’t).
– You will discover ‘phone families’ that offer a very similar user encounter (and will not need to be analyzed individually).
— You may only want to test with the most well-liked mobile phones in Europe or perhaps the most popular models that are to be used to gain access to your site (you actually can look at your site figures to find out this information).
Who do you need to test with?
The people you need to conduct your mobile phone usability testing sessions with is going to, of course , depend on your particular organization and its visitors. Some things to bear in mind include:
— How much encounter they should currently have of utilizing their mobile phones to reach services. This can be particularly crucial as the market for accessing web based services through mobile phones keeps growing and the percent of ‘complete novices’ (i. e. persons using the technology for the first time) will be a long way higher than to get computer users of your website.
– Which cellular phone or PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT they have. We might usually suggest that people apply their own mobile phone in a treatment, so the test can focus on your website and necessarily on the way the hand-held device performs.
Just where should mobile usability tests sessions always be conducted?
Mobile phone devices and PDAs are used inside the real world hence usability assessment of handheld devices should therefore not merely take place in a usability laboratory.
Where, when and how a mobile phone can be used is critical to a person’s experience of the site they are really accessing. Some following instances could affect this knowledge and therefore concerns of the web site’s usability:
– Background sound
– Contingency tasks (i. e. anything the person has been doing at the same time)
– Physical movement
As such, we’d recommend, when possible, that any kind of mobile phone and PDA user friendliness testing can be conducted at a clinical and also inside the ‘outside world’.
How you plan and manage mobile phone simplicity sessions depends on your business and its audience, but the many popular strategies to mobile wonderful testing involve:
– Lab-based (using a camera to record the session)
– Diary-studies (asking people to hold a journal of how they may have used their mobile phone and any concerns they encounter)
– Newspaper prototypes (running usability evaluating on a paper-based version from the site, employing mobile phone screen-sized pieces of paper)