Cellular phone and PDA usability testing is critical to your business. In fact , mobile and handheld user friendliness testing could be even more important than computer-based simplicity testing. The primary reasons for this are:
— The number of people accessing the world wide web from mobile phone and portable devices is increasing for a massive rate – in 2008 together there’ll be an estimated 49.50 million PDAs sold across the world.
– People generally have way less experience of employing their mobile to visit online than they do of using their pc. This means that computer-based users can be assumed to get a higher level of existing expertise than mobile and handheld users.
– The platform whereby users get your site is usually far less foreseen when using mobile phone devices. Computer-based guests generally just differ from the other person in their web browser and operating-system (i. electronic. most people will make use of a screen, mouse and keyboard), whereas different types of mobile phones and PDAs are different can considerably.
Which will mobile phones and PDAs do you need to consider?
Mobile phones and PDAs can differ derived from one of another drastically, and this will radically modify how people experience and use websites. Some of the ways that handheld products can differ involve:
– Screen-size (small or large)
– Display layout (portrait vs . landscape)
— Input device (stylus, atlaspac.org numeric keypad, dial-wheel, QWERTY keypad)
Because the cellular phone / PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT that an individual is applying will have this sort of a serious effect on their very own experience of your webblog, you should try to check with several mobile phones and PDAs as is possible.
Of course , evaluating with every cellular phone and PDA is difficult. Here are some ways to help narrow down the number of equipment you’ll need to check with:
— Your mobile site visitors may belong to a particular audience. Certain audiences usually tend to prefer particular types of phones (e. g. phones with big screens that are designed to support over the internet access vs . small-screen designs that aren’t).
– You will discover ‘phone families’ that offer the same user encounter (and is not going to need to be tested individually).
– You may only want to test with the most well-liked mobile phones in Europe as well as most popular models that are being used to access your site (you can look at your site stats to find out this information).
Who do you want to test with?
The people you wish to conduct your mobile phone functionality testing consultations with will, of course , depend on your particular organization and its audience. Some things to bear in mind include:
— How much experience they should own of using their mobile phones to get into services. That is particularly significant as the market pertaining to accessing on the net services through mobile phones is growing and the percent of ‘complete novices’ (i. e. persons using the technology for the first time) will be even higher than to get computer users of the website.
— Which cellular phone or PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT they have. We might usually recommend that people apply their own cellular phone in a appointment, so the evaluation can focus on your website but not on the way the handheld device works.
Where should cellular usability screening sessions be conducted?
Mobile phones and PDAs are used inside the real world so usability screening of portable devices will need to therefore not simply take place in a usability laboratory.
Where, when and how a mobile phone is needed is critical to a person’s experience of the site they are accessing. Many of the following situations could affect this experience and therefore concerns of the site’s usability:
– Background sound
– Concurrent tasks (i. e. whatever the person is performing at the same time)
– Physical movement
As such, we would recommend, if possible, that any kind of mobile phone and PDA usability testing is normally conducted in a lab and also inside the ‘outside world’.
How you approach and manage mobile phone simplicity sessions will be based on your organization and its target market, but the many popular strategies to mobile simplicity testing include:
– Lab-based (using a camera to record the session)
– Diary-studies (asking people to continue to keep a record of how they may have used the mobile phone and any problems they encounter)
– Traditional prototypes (running usability assessment on a paper-based version on the site, using mobile phone screen-sized pieces of paper)